Sisters attend closing ceremony for Iowa church
Pictured from left, Sisters Fran Yanisch, Rose Elsbernd and Margaret Wagner (also pictured standing) attended the official closing ceremony of St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Muscatine, Iowa, on June 21. The celebration included a procession of sacred items from St. Mary’s to St. Mathias. According to the Muscatine Journal, in the spring of 2013, the floor [of St. Mary’s] was deemed unable to hold the weight of its parishioners, a safety concern that led to the church being closed and consolidated with St. Mathias Catholic Church.”
Sisters Fran and Margaret served at St. Mary’s; Sister Margaret from 1961 to 1964 and Sister Fran from 1957 to 1963. FSPA were present in the parish as early as 1879.
The History of St. Mary’s Catholic Church, published for and shared at the event, is available in FSPA archives.